- I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals to the hundredths place using models or drawings.
For the next two weeks we will take our knowledge of decimal place value and apply it to basic operations. During the first week, we will focus on adding and subtracting decimals. One big misconception for 5th graders occurs when subtracting a decimal from a whole number. When your child is working at home make sure they are lining up place values and decimals.
Help Your child at Home
- Use grocery store ads for adding practice! Ask your 5th grader to choose 5 items and add up the total.
- Give your child a budget while looking at the grocery store ads. Have them subtract the cost of items from the amount they have to spend.
- Research the amount of rainfall we've had this summer. Add up the grand total and compare it to other years.
- Use Google Maps to calculate the mileage from home to different locations. Add up the total mileage.