Research the Real Island
- Read the author’s note in the back of the book.
- Research the real island that the story is based on.
- Use a Venn Diagram to compare and contrast the setting of the book to the real island.
- Use your research to write your script for the movie. Get a script writing worksheet from Miss Minor.
- Create a movie or powerpoint presentation to show your findings.
Mandatory Research Topics
- What is the name of the real island?
- Where is the island located? Include a picture of it on a map.
- Which Native Americans used to inhabit the island?
- Facts about the history of the island.
- What type of plants and animals live on the island?
- What is the island used for today?
- What are the similarities between the real island and the setting in the story.
- What are the differences between the real island and the setting in the story.
- Why is the setting of the story important to Island of the Blue Dolphins?
- Creative Beginning Title
- Your Name at the beginning or end of movie
- You must have at least 15 pictures
- Pictures must play for 2-5 seconds
- Informational titles throughout the movie
- Voice Narration that is loud and clear
- Background Music
- Works Cited
Powerpoint or Keynote Expectations
- Creative Title
- Your Name on the Title Slide
- Every slide must have a picture with a link to where you found it.
- Works Cited Slide
- Save as: LastName_FirstName_IslandSetting