Read Another Newbery Award Winning Book
- Research the Newbery Award. Follow the mandatory research topics.
- Create a movie or powerpoint presentation to show your findings.
- Read another book that has also won the award. Go to the ALSC webpage for a list of winning books.
- Write a one page response that explains your opinions about why the two books won the award. Follow the mandatory response topics.
Mandatory Research Topics
- History of the award
- How does a book win the award?
- What is the difference between the Newbery Medal & Newbery Honor Award?
- This current years winners
- A list of 4 winners of your choice & a picture of each book cover
Mandatory Written Response Topics
- Your opinion of Island of the Blue Dolphins.
- The year Island of the Blue Dolphins won the award.
- Why do you think Island of the Blue Dolphins won this award?
- Your opinion of the book you read.
- The year the book won the award.
- Why do you think this book won this award?
- Creative Beginning Title
- Your Name at the beginning or end of movie
- You must have at least 15 pictures
- Pictures must play for 2-5 seconds
- Informational titles throughout the movie
- Voice Narration that is loud and clear
- Background Music
- Works Cited
Powerpoint or Keynote Expectations
- Creative Title
- Your Name on the Title Slide
- Every slide must have a picture with a link to where you found it.
- Works Cited Slide
- Save as: Last Name_First Name_Newbery